Sunday, September 1, 2013

Low FODMAP diet

I have been talking a lot about the low FODMAP diet, at this point it is necessary that I give an overview of the diet that I am following with help of a nutritionist. There are many published documents on the internet about this diet. The Low FODMAP targets carbohydrates (sugars) in the diet.
fodmap-intolerances-673x900-0310.jpg 595×842 pixels
This is not the full list that I have been following, but a pretty good overview of the carbohydrates targeted by the diet

four two to four weeks, all five of these carbohydrates have been eliminated from my diet, while simultaneously limiting glucose consumption. The point of this cleansing period is to help your stomache heal from the damage inflicted from years of eating irritating foods. The second phase involves re-introducing sample foods of the five categories into your diet at varying quantities to identify which cause IBS symptoms and how much of each is tolerated. With the help of a nutritionist, you can properly decide which foods to reintroduce based on any suspicions that you may have about food intolerances (for example: I am pretty sure that Fructans are not my friend)

This is the list of foods that I can eat:

foods in bold should be eaten in the quantity listed (quantity is per meal, not per day) choose no more than one bold food per meal

this is a sample shopping list online
My shopping list looks something like this:
Quinoa
Rice
Gluten free pasta
coconut flour
baking soda
baking powder
sugar
lactose free chocolate chips (in gluten free isle)
maple syrup
vanilla extract
all the spices in the world
rice wine vinegar
balsamic vinegar
garlic olive oil
organic ketchup
beef broth
red wine
mustard
mayonnaise
cans of tomato sauce (to make homemade crock pot sauce)
rice krispies
gluten free crackers
brownie mix
beef
chicken
bacon
eggs
tuna
crab meat
shrimp
cheddar cheese
lactaid milk (tried almond milk but its sugar content caused me stomach problems)
butter
eggplant
cucumber
carrots
tomato
squash (butternut or spaghetti)
zucchini
potato
sweet potato
spinach
avocado (eaten in limited quantities)
bananas
canned beets
canned jalapenos
frozen gluten free chicken nuggets or patties
pirates booty
joe joe's
coffee

my list consists of a lot of ingredients that can be mixed into a million different things. This list pretty much covers the wide range of foods that pop up in the recipes I find online. A lot of low FODMAP and paleo recipes call for coconut flour and coconut oil, I use butter instead of coconut oil without stomache issues. some people opt for almond flour, but I have not tried it because of my bad reaction to Almond milk. As you may also notice, I don't buy salad. I prefer to just eat some chopped up fresh veggies, because I buy groceries for a week for one person and salad tends to go bad after a day, and I HATE wilted lettuce (I am eating some right now and want to cry).

Up next: low FODMAP Mac and Cheese

1 comment: